Less Than Three Press (LT3), a small publisher of LGBTQ romance novels and anthologies, is seeking stories for a forthcoming anthology called Villains, Inc. This collection will celebrate antiheroes and the bad things they do.
Sr. Editor Tan-ni Fan. T. welcomes romance tales with elements of sci-fi, steampunk, mystery, or elements from other speculative fiction sub-genres.
I swear, like clockwork, we get this question nearly every month. What is the secret to writing something different from me? There are no secrets, there is no guides, no quick lists of what all Korean-Americans are like (because no one works that way). Don’t treat characters like they’re some unfathomable other, because they’re not, they’re human beings like you and me and anyone else.
Why are you worried about writing a stereotypical caricature? Is it because that’s all you know? Change that. Consume media written by Korean-Americans, realize that being Korean-American will effect who he is just like your background effects who you are, and make sure your characters are human beings.
Worried about white-washing history? Read history. There’s lots of it out there, by Korean-Americans, and it’s easily accessible on the internet. Go to museums, check out books assigned in Asian American studies. They exist, you’re just not looking for them.
Stop being afraid of writing POC characters because “you might get it wrong.” Do type the questions you just asked me into google, and start from there. Do realize that your characters are human, share the same interests and motivations as everyone else, and should be treated as such. .
#15 & 16
(this is too funny, though!)
The POC Alliance is a Network for POC in fandoms. Here we create our own safe space to talk to each other, discuss, fangirl and find new friends who are just like you. If you’re a person of color who loves TV Shows/Movies/Books and wants to meet other people of color who love the same things, why not join us?► Rules to enter
- must be following me
- reblog this post till the 25th August (likes count as bookmarks)
- You should identify as a person of color
- Open ask, so i can contact you
- Fill in this form► What are we looking for?
- Friendly people
- active Fandom blogs
- nice organized themes
- stuff makers (like Fanfic writers, graphic/edit makers, theme makers etc.)but you don’t have to make stuff to join► Pros of joining our network
- you gain new followers and friends
my undying love
- we can discuss things about shows etc. without having people interrupting us
- Promotions, Tumblr Awards, asks
- We reblog your edits, fanfics, text posts and selfies
- We also help with life and tumblr stuff► Once you have entered
- follow all members
- submit an icon for our network page
- follow the network blog
- put a link on your blog
- be nice, helpful, respectful and always yourself► IMPORTANT
- Deadline is set on 25th August, 2014
- I am going to need your e-mail. If you are chosen I will ask you for your e-mail and also tell you what icon size i need
- I love youUPDATE - 13th August
first of all i want to thank everyone who reblogged and applied for this network. I also want to thank the people who signalboosted it so more people have the chance to know about it. I really appreciate this and can’t thank you enough! You helped me a lot and if i could hug you, i would do it. I am sending you 1000 virtual hugs.
However, i have some announcements! Nothing big, just some information.
- The Deadline is set on the 25 August so more people have the chance to join. On the 26th and 27th August i will start choosing and putting the names online. I will make a post with the names but also send you a message, asking for some information like i have explained above
- The plan is to make the Alliance as big as possible with many different people with different interests and fandoms. My idea was it to create a safe space for every POC who wants to join so i will try to let everyone in!
- Please track the tag #pocalliance for more updates and information since i will start posting some stuff there!
- I am following back everyone who follows me btw, so don’t be surprised! :)
- I fucking love all of you so so much
queer authors: make all your characters queer. every single one of them. leave no room for alternate cishet interpretations. make straight people uncomfortable. let them cry about how unrealistic it is that no one is cishet. bottle their tears and pour them over your morning pancakes. savor the taste of their discomfort.
I wanted to double check that “The Cherry on Top” was a short novel or novella and I found this on uphillwriting.org. I think it’s very informative and hopefully you guys will find it useful!
Good friends, this list is wonderful, but it’s missing something!
800 words maximum
Fuck Yeah Queer Latin@s in Books!
- Trauma Queen by Lovemme Corazón
- Chulito by Charles Rice-Gonzalez
- Down to the Bone by Maya Lazara Dole
- City of Night by John Rechy
- The Rain God by Arturo Islas
- The Dirty Girls Social Club by Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez
- The Cha Cha Files: A Chapina Poetica by Maya Chinchilla
- Their Dogs Came with Them by Helena Maria Viramontes
- Make Love to Rage by Morgan Robyn Colladooc
I need all of these.
Click through to awesome photo array at: http://www.buzzfeed.com/doree/quotes-about-writing
Novelist and essayist Vidiadhar Surajprasad Naipaul was born in Chaguanas on Trinidad on this day in 1932. In 2001, he won the Nobel Prize for Literature.
“The only lies for which we are truly punished are those we tell ourselves.”
― V.S. Naipaul, In a Free State
This will be the first of our bi-weekly writing goal posts. Every two weeks, I’ll ask for your writing goals and provide accountability so that you can keep writing.
1) Reply or reblog with your writing goal. Be SPECIFIC, don’t be general because that can actually sabotage you. Also, be realistic. It’s okay if your goal seems really easy or small. The point is that you should be successful and not set yourself up for failure.
- Good example: Write 1000 words 3x each week.
- Bad example: Work on my novel.
2) On August 31, I will tag all you in a post to check how your goals went. If you succeeded, awesome! If you didn’t succeed, that’s okay, try to assess what happened. Was your goal to ambitious? Were you not prepared? Did something happen? How can you do better next time?
I also highly recommend creating a google spreadsheet (or something similar) to keep track of your progress.
Imagine by December 31 what you could accomplish! Let’s keep each other motivated and get some major writing done together! :D
Hi! As I already own Scrivener, I am giving away a special code that will let you get Scrivener for free. For those of you who don’t know what Scrivener is, it’s basically a really amazing writing program specifically designed for writers. You can go the official website here to learn more! See below on how to enter, please read the rules because this is a slightly different kind of giveaway.
I will run this giveaway until September 15, midnight EST.
1) You MUST be following me.
2) To enter, fill out this form here. Every column is REQUIRED. Not filling out the columns will disqualify you from the giveaway.
3) I will use Random.org to select the winner. You have 48 hours to respond, then I will select another winner.
4) Your Ask box MUST be enabled so I can contact you. If your Ask box isn’t enabled if you’re selected, I’m automatically going to pick another winner.
That’s it! Likes and reblogs are appreciated, but won’t increase your chances of winning. Also, I’m aware people can cheat the system here and enter themselves multiple times. I will be checking all the blogs, but hopefully you all will be honest.
Feel free to signal boost! :)